
...the last part with your heart." Mike Fanelli, coach
The first readings for this Information Technologies for Learning course have effectively introduced me to the new vision of School Libraries 2.0. Authentic inquiry-based instruction "emphasizes the affective as well as cognitive aspects of the process" (Kuhlthau, 1993 as cited in Oberg, 2004). Since class began I have experienced the tumult of new acquiring new information on both an emotional and educational level. As a teacher librarian I agonized over the concerns, frustration and anxieties which grew from the realization that it would be my responsibility to introduce major changes to current school library program. However, with reflection and the additional insight of additional articles, I began to recognize that I was already making fine progress towards the goal of creating a School Library 2.0 in my secondary school and that I am not alone in this endeavor.
You know you’re a 21st century librarian if…
A Modest Manifesto (Valenza, 2008) suggests an impressive list of prerequisite skills for an effective 21st century librarian, and this was definitely the article that caused me the most angst and rumination. Highlighter in hand, I read through the list (as did several of my classmates), acknowledging my current understandings and noting areas of which I knew little. While it was evident that I supported Web 2.0 technology in the school library, I still have numerous Manifesto competencies to explore before this teacher librarian may be considered (Valenza's description) my school’s “info-technology scout” and “creative force”.
Last term, as outlined in my previous blog entries, I completed an intense exploration of a variety of Web 2.0 tools. These technologies were the same ones revisited and explained in “Towards School Library 2.0: An Introduction to Social Software tools for Teacher Librarians” (Naslund & Giustini, 2008). After reading Valenza’s Manifesto, I felt extremely overwhelmed by her extensive expectations and discouraged that, despite all this groundwork, my personal metamorphosis into a 21st century librarian was still so far from complete. Perhaps I am too hard on myself, by seeking this level of competency and I need to recognize that the journey is just as valuable as the end result.
A Framework for Tomorrow
Towards A Tranformative Pedagogy for School Libraries 2.0 (Asselin & Doiron, 2008), came to my rescue by providing the underlying framework of why schools must change traditional pedagogy to address the new literacies of the Net Generation. As the ideas of “new learners”, “new literacies” and “new concepts of knowledge” were introduced, and the potential model for the future of School Libraries 2.0 unfolded, I began to see the relevance of Valenza’s list and how it supported the new direction for school libraries. Of special interest was Asselin & Doiron’s description of the ten major characteristics of these new learners. I realized that last term's Web 2.0 course had subtly transformed my own approach to learning, enabling me to operate at a baseline within these characteristic models - as a new digital immigrant. As an illustration, this week I independently mastered Skype, incorporated this technology into my daily life, shared it with friends, and used this tool to connect socially and as a way to facilitate planning a wiki project with a classmate.
The Literacies for the Information Generation diagram shown at the top of this post (Asselin & Doiron, 2008, p. 8) illustrates “five comprehensive areas which reflect the multi-modal, multiple literacies that will enable full literacy development for today’s learners (p. 7)”. When I studied this diagram and read the detailed descriptions of each component, I had the epiphany that I am presently following this same learning path and expanding my literacy knowledge through the University of Alberta Teacher-Librarianship coursework.
To further clarify, I recognized that all five areas of this model are being addressed in the current course offerings. Inquiry-Directed Learning, Intellectual Freedom and Social Responsibility, Critical Literacy (in part through School Library Information Materials), and Technological Literacy match the components with Creativity and Representation and Basic Literacy incorporated throughout. When my program of studies is complete I will have been introduced to the very literacies that are recommended as the underpinnings of School Libraries 2.0. I am hoping that this firsthand experience will offer me further insights so that I can be a common bridge for both “new learners” and teachers.
Beginning the Process of Change
With an enhanced understanding of the “big picture” of School Libraries 2.0 swirling about my head, I revisited the Manifesto, in podcast form for the third time. The passion and the energy in Valenza’s voice sparked my enthusiasm to work towards mastering the 21st century competencies and to advocate for students in my school district. Time to "digest" the Manifesto combined with a perusal of the supporting articles from the online issue of School Libraries Worldwide, helped to restore my confidence and determine that I was already on the path to becoming the ideal of the 21st century school librarian and possessed knowledge worthy of sharing with others.
I was inspired to telephone a new School Board Trustee asking for the opportunity to chat with her about how Langley's teacher librarians can help students prepare for success in this new information age. My classmates offered me support, made suggestions and urged me forward when I shared my plans in the discussion forum. Several other teacher librarians and myself plan to meet trustees to share information about current conditions and discuss our vision for Langley libraries in the near future.
I am truly encouraged by the prospect of initiating this dialogue with our administration. With each new article in the July 2008 issue of School Libraries Worldwide, I come across quotes, informative videos and issues worthy of inclusion in an advocacy plan or as discussion topics with colleagues. Traditional views need to be re-examined against the values, identity and world of the Net Generation. Investigating the inclusion of popular culture, video games, social networking sites and iPods as features of the new library landscape are also worthy of dialogue as well as retooling learning approaches with greater appeal to the multi-modal nature of today’s learners. Fitting the different pieces together will help to achieve the library's future goals. Developing the knowledge, sharing with the people who will create this Learning 2.0 community and igniting the passion for change are the next challenges.
No comments:
Post a Comment